Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Portfolio: Gustavo Lacerda

Gustavo Lacerda is an incredible Brazilian photographer. His latest project "Albinos" is at Catherine Edelman Gallery in Chicago, Illinois until January 4, 2014. A monograph on Albinos should be ready soon  and we can't wait to see it!





All about photo asked him a few questions:

AAP: Where did you study photography?
I did not study photography in a formal way, at an art college. While in college I studied humanities and philosophy, studing journalism I attended several courses of photography and fine arts from the fine arts department of my university (UFMG) and I also did some workshops with great artists like Luis Gonzales Palma and Joachim Schmidt for example. But my true learning at the beginning was when I worked with a teacher's aide in the fine arts department. At this time I had free access to all photographic collection of the college. I remember that I spent my afternoons seeing all slide collection... Robert Frank, Atget, Dorothea Lange, Diane Arbus, Duane Michals, etcetera, etcetera... I'm also so grateful to the photographers that teached me a lot when I was an assistant.  




AAP: What or who inspires you?
Art and people in general... I appreciate diversity, I especially like Antoon Van Dyck, Vermeer, Degas, Edward Hopper, Julia Margaret Cameron, Baudelaire, Fernando Pessoa, João Guimarães Rosa, Sergei Eisenstein, Mario Peixoto, Frida Kalo, Berenice Abott, Robert Frank, Richard Avedon, Robert Mapplethorpe and Patti Smith, Diane Arbus, Win Wenders, Michelangelo Antonioni, and so many others... 



AAP: Favorite(s) photographer(s)?
Ow, there are a lot! From the current days, Mary Ellen Mark, Stefan Ruiz, Stephan Shore, Sally Mann, Rineke Dijkstra, Alec Soth, Hiroshi Sugimoto and so many others. 




If you want to discover Eugenio Recuendo 's full portfolio and interview: Click here

No comments:

Post a Comment